The Mysterious Blue Geranium
Could an old Victorian lady be a master detective? In Agatha Christie's Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories, Miss Marple is just the character. The book itself is a collection of short stories: Thirteen of them, each one chapter long. The stories take place in a living room, with a group of people sharing their collective knowledge on unsolved mysteries. Then, one by one, they try to figure out what actually happened there.
One story was particularly interesting to me. Told by Colonel Bantry, "The Blue Geranium" is focused on two people: George Pritchard, a reasonable and friendly man, and his wife, Dolly. The story takes place inside the couple's house. At the time they had guests over, including Jean Instow, a young, sweet, and somewhat innocent girl. Many hospital nurses were in and out of the house, and one nurse, Nurse Copling, Mrs. Pritchard liked. Usually, Mrs. Pritchard would eat lunch upstairs, and the Nurse and George would do their own things for the rest of the afternoon. One day, a letter comes in from a mysterious "Zarida, Psychic Reader of the Future". That afternoon, Mrs. Pritchard feels very ill after reading the letter, which reads: "I have seen the future... The Blue Primrose means Warning; the Blue Hollyhock means Danger; the Blue Geranium means Death..." (Christie 100). Inside her bedroom is a wallpaper resembling a garden, with flowers all around the border.
The nurse and Mr. Pritchard try to comfort her for the night, but the next morning and the morning after, one blue primrose and one blue hollyhock appear beside her bed on the wallpaper. Now, the very night before, each time, Mr. Pritchard and the nurse checked with their very own eyes and there were zero blue flowers anywhere on the wallpaper. Everybody in the house was very shaken by these, but one month later, Mrs. Pritchard is found dead in her bed with a blue geranium above her head. The doctor is called and it is determined that she had been dead for about eight hours. There's a slight smell of gas, but it is quickly ruled out.
I think this story was really interesting. It encompasses all of the features of a good mystery. The door is wide open for conjecture. There are many unanswered questions that the reader has about her death. Was it supernatural? Was it murder? If it was, how did the murderer do it? Who was it? This story showcases the writing power of Agatha Christie and the ability to create works of such depth in only 19 pages. This story (and the 12 others in the book) were really interesting, and I would strongly recommend reading this book in your free time.Now, what happened to Mrs. Pritchard, and how did she die out of the blue? Read the book to find out! Or, you could talk to me and I would be happy to explain what happened :)



That does seem like an interesting book. The one story that you described had a very well set up mystery. The author is clearly a good writer to be able to fit that complicated of a story into only 19 pages. I imagine that the other stories are also very interesting.
ReplyDelete-Nibaw
I have read, and loved a number of books by Agatha Christie, but have never read this one. Reading the description has made me so intrigued to find out what ended up happening too, all in 19 pages! I think it is really interesting that the Blue Geranium means death and how you described this flower showing up in multiple different ways throughout the story. After reading this, I also now wonder what the other short stories are.
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds like fun to read, with the individual chapters all being so short that you could finish reading a story in no time. This really shows the author's skill to tell such a convincing story and get everyone invested in it in just a few short pages. This particular story also sounds very interesting and the mystery nature of this series seems to make it a page turner.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read many Agatha Chrisite books but this sounds very interesting. I was really suprised when I read that the book was only 19 pages long. The fact that the author could write a very interesting story in that few pages realy shows how much skill Agatha Chrisite had as an author. Since this book sounds very intriguing and its very short, I'll probably be trying it out soon.
ReplyDeleteI have read many Hercule Poirot books by Agatha Christie, but never the Miss Marple series. I loved her writing and the way she builds up suspense in the longer novels, but it would be interesting to see what she does in Miss Marple's short stories. This particular mystery is very intriguing, especially since Miss Marple doesn't seem to be an actual detective. The concept of the flowers creates a lot of suspense for the readers. Overall it seems like a very unique and interesting book.
ReplyDeleteThe way you described the writing was really mysterious and did make me want to read myself for more details. Even with only the summary you gave, I can tell the story had a lot of detailing which is impressive for a 'short' story. I'll definitely try and check out this book in the future.
ReplyDelete- Athena
I have read a couple of Agatha Christie's books with a different detective, Hercule Poirot but I have only heard of Miss Marple. I find it very interesting that Miss Marple figures out the mystery by talking with some other people, never leaving their living room. I am now very intrigued and anxious to find out how Mrs. Prichard died.
ReplyDeleteKai
I have never read any Agatha Christie book, but your review has intrigued me, and I might give it a chance. I appreciated your detailing of one of the chapters without giving too much away. I have not read many mystery novels before, but I find even descriptions to be intriguing and interesting. Like you mentioned in your review, the start-up to this mystery leaves a lot to be learned, and the reader is easily captivated by this. I am surprised that an author can go into so much depth in just a single chapter. Good job on your review!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I haven't read an agatha christie book before, I have always wanted to after watching the oriental express movie adaptaion. Your description of the story is really good; even though it's summarizing it still made me very curious and intrigued on what happened to Mrs. Pritchard. I will definitely consider checking this collection out.
ReplyDelete