Moloka'i: My Review - Ana Olson


*Please read this post at your own risk there may be some small spoilers*

The national bestselling novel, Moloka’i by Alan Brennert follows the story of a Hawaiian girl named Rachel Kalana. At the age of seven, after finding rose-colored patches on her skin, Rachel is diagnosed with leprosy. She is then sent to Kalihi Receiving Station, and after a few months, to the leprosy settlement Kalaupapa on Moloaka’i island. Rachel is separated from her family, luckily she ends up meeting her uncle Pono, adoptive aunt Haleola, a caretaker of the young girls on the island named Sister Catherine, a friend named Leilani, and many more people. 

During the novel, Rachel develops as a character. However, throughout, no matter how tough things are for her she seems to always have a fairly optimistic and forward outlook. The book describes it as “embracing life in the face of death.” This book covers and follows Rachel’s life. While reading, I felt like I was growing with her. From when Rachel is young and first gets diagnosed, struggling missing her home and family, having to adjust to a new way of life. To when she is older dealing with adult relationships and wondering what will become of her and her leprosy. A part of the book that I found particularly interesting in Rachel’s growth is when Rachel and her friend meet a man who is listening to a gramophone. It reminded me how secluded she really was from the outside world. Though she meets people in Kalaupapa and is able to live a somewhat normal life while there, she is still quarantined away from the outside world.

All the characters in Moloka’i have very strong personalities, but Rachel in particular. In the blurb on the back of the book she is described as “spirited,” and I think that she is exactly that. In the early parts of the novel when Rachel was about seven years old, she wanted to travel with her dad who was a merchant seaman. Not only is her strong relationship with her dad carried through the story, but also her want and dream to see the world and be cured of leprosy, to leave Kalaupapa and see the world.

Among the people Rachel meets in Kalaupapa, she meets a man named Kenji, who also has leprosy. They get married and end up having a child together, Ruth. Because Kenji and Rachel have leprosy, their child cannot stay with them. Later in the novel, Kenji ends up being killed. What becomes of their daughter? How does Rachel react to Kenji’s death? Will Rachel become cured of leprosy and be able to fulfil her dream of traveling the world and seeing her daughter?  

Before this book I had never read about leprosy. I loved the unique storyline while also learning something important about history. Overall, the best way I can think to describe this book is ‘an emotional roller coaster,’ I was constantly wondering what’s going to happen next. The way Brennert describes the characters through all their ups and downs makes the book seem more real. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for their next read, you will be both sobbing and smiling throughout.


Comments

  1. This seems like a really interesting book. Because Rachel has leprosy, it makes her different. This would make her in some ways stronger, but have a lot more challenges to tackle. I would definitely read this book in the future.

    - Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog really thought-provoking, as I'd never heard of leprosy before. From your blog post alone, it seems like a devastating disease, considering how Rachel had to be taken from her family as a child, and I would think that wouldn't happen unless it was under the most extreme of circumstances. This book seems like it would cause emotional turmoil, and for that reason, I probably won't end up reading it, but it does seem interesting and if I'm ever up for that I'll add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Ana! You did an amazing job of summarizing the story while not giving away too much. I too hadn't heard of leprosy until I read this, but it seems to be a large aspect of the main character's identity, and I would love to learn more about her experiences with the disease. I'll add this novel to my list! -Meher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog really interesting. I have never heard of leprosy prior to reading this review but after reading this, I thought that it was crazy how Rachel had to be taken away from her family as a child just because she had leprosy. It must have been very hard for her especially when she had to have her own child taken away from her. After reading this review, I'll definitely read this book in the future.
    -Neeraja

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts